Develop active listening
Relationships within my social life such as my family, friends, colleagues and superiors are important to me. Thus, forging a healthy social circle requires that I learn to listen actively during interaction with others. However, I face certain challenges, such as when communicating with those I have known for a long period of time.


Familiarity breeds contempt. This is defined by The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy as, “the better we know people, the more likely we are to find fault with them”. In my family, for example, when my father’s not agreeable on a certain issue, my mind immediately shuts off all explanations he has to offer, and I wander into my own cloud of perception. “Being the unsupportive person he is, he’s never going to agree on this!” With this preconceived assumption, the discussion comes to an abrupt closure.


My mental barrier – I subconsciously formulated a fixed mindset of how my father was going to react, what he was going to say, and the intentions behind what he was about to say. It would have been wiser of me if I had adopted an active listening approach, by not being judgemental on my dad’s content and behaviour based on past experiences. Furthermore, if I had taken the time and effort to listen to his points of view, this would have put me in an advantageous position to engage in an objective discussion and hopefully persuade him for the better or even gather some new insights from him!


Extending this scenario beyond my family, I need to constantly remind myself to be open-minded to others as well. Judging a person instantly prevents effective communication and discussions. Therefore, I believe that active listening is important not only to improve relationships through mutual understanding, but with a greater diversity of ideas, it also helps in making better decisions.

6 Comments:

  1. Yun Nian said...
    Hi Brandon, I really agree with you that familiarity breeds contempt. When we are closer to someone, we may forget our manners and simply say what we think without any thought for their feelings. We even expect them to know what we are thinking since we know each other that well. This is in fact wrong because "the nearer you come into relation with a person, the more necessary do tact and courtesy become" (Oliver Wendell Holmes). Such thoughtless is usually the cause of conflicts between best friends and family members.
    Chong Guan said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Chong Guan said...
    Hi Brandon, your post about not listening to family members and shutting yourself out when they are talking really strikes a chord. Sometimes, family members would come across as naggy and irritating when they are talking to me. We would have come up with what they are going to say even before they have started. In my opinion, this is due to the fact that we would think that we know our family members best as they are the most intimate and familiar with us. Had we adopt active listening and be more conscious in communicating with them, i'm sure many small problems and misunderstandings would not have arise.

    Cheers,
    Chong Guan
    jiahwa said...
    Hey Brandon, that is a really interesting point brought up by you. 'Familiarity breeds contempt', how true! My godmother always complains about how her husband treats their employee in such a polite manner, and praises her whenever she does something right. Yet, he talks to my godmother in a less polite manner and rarely praises her. When two persons get so used to each other, things may start getting being taken for granted for. Being familiar with each other also removes the barrier which causes one to be more polite and careful of his usage of words and tone.

    I agree to your point of not judging a person as well. When we already have a certain opinion about someone (usually negative), we will tend to interpret their words in a negative manner. This can result in unpleasant feelings created between both parties, as well as chances of missing out on certain brilliant ideas that could have been brushed off by you because of the impression you already have on the other party.
    Ang Peng Siang (Patrick) said...
    Having a biased perception of a person really does hinder us from giving him a fair chance for us to hear him out. The ideal situation is that we don't but we all know we are biased to a certain degree. It is these opportunities to learn effective communication that force us to be aware of such aspects of listening which we usually overlook.

    I wish to propose another way to look at your view regarding 'familiarity breeds contempt'. While I also identify with how I tend to disregard the nagging from my mom at times, it can be a process of learning. As my family makes effort to communicate well, we learn how each person thinks and understand the point where each person is coming from. With the maturity and sincerity, I found myself being able to communicate with my parents a lot better than 3 years ago. So this familiarity trap is something we can overcome. Hopefully after this course our relationship with people will be a lot better!
    grace kim said...
    Hi Brandon, thanks for sharing your personal experience and using it to highlight one aspect of communication skills which we often ignore - active listening - and which is so crucial in "forging a healthy social circle". It's good that you are aware of the mental barrier that is hindering you from listening actively. However, what's more important is to break down the barrier and be an active listener! I can see you are doing something about it as you said you "constantly remind" yourself to be "open-minded to others". Good!

Post a Comment